Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Essay vs Composition

I felt ashamed…not exactly, but I somehow felt embarrassed. I learned that all this while, I had never written a well written essay, but just a lame composition. We learned of an accomplished essay by George Orwell: Shooting an Elephant. The elements that he touches in his essays are those that has deep conflicts…I fell inferior (I guess anybody would if to compare the essays side by side)

Well in the essay, it talks of imperialism; the not wanting to do sinful and wrong things that is thought as wrong. Talks of taking life; elephant’s life is much more worthy than a coolie (human being) as it’s been compared by the amount of work each could take. It also talks of duty and societal pressure.

I could never imagine myself sitting in these people’s place; either being the officer (colonizer), or the coolie, or the Burmese society. Each has their own pressure towards each other. The worst I could imagine would be the coolie…his life is being compared to an elephant? It’s nullifying…

I’ve so much to say (more on the stupidity of those who compare humans with animals) but it’s too messed up…maybe I could start thinking of better essay next time.

No comments: