Monday, September 24, 2007

Love Letter

Oooo, we read a love letter by famous poet. It was being read aloud by the lecturer. Honestly, if it is not being read aloud, I couldn’t have had understood a piece of its message. It is very flowery. This letter we read is from Keats to Fanny Brawne.

I am very fascinated by the way the old folks write their letters, even the formal one (meant for an acquaintance) was written in such elaborated imaginaries and symbols. Full of metaphor and many reference to other great literature (which are taken in, in a from of quotations)

Now that I learned letters has its own art of writing and its own specialty, I found that the culture of writing beautifully written letters in an endangered state. Near extinction. For a while it overwhelmed me, but as I thought back, humans gone trough evolution as well as the technology and the culture. Maybe, we could find a way to make SMS or MMS sending an art, just like letter writing centuries ago…could we?

No comments: