Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Nelson Mandela

It has been quite sometime that I have not review on our lesson in class. Something interesting came up the other day, and as I flipped through our course book, I remembered we did something on the autobiography of Nelson Mandela.

It is an interesting piece to read. Something that I am deeply concern about; racism. Living here in Malaysia, I am taught to think that all people despite where you come from and how you look like, has the same red blood in our veins. Therefore all should be treated and should be judged equally. That is what I believe.

Well the story about the differences of class between the white and the blacks. It is being differentiated by a form of clothing. Long pants for the honored and the shorts for the trash (this was perhaps around 50 years ago – or more). There is more to it…but what we focused on is about the autobiography itself.

The questions arose are:
Why write autobiography?
The pitfalls in reading autobiography
The educational implication for using autobiography in the classroom

I couldn’t answered it all, but we did some discussion on it. But I like the part of the pitfalls of reading autobiography. I am the type that would easily believe…my bad…but I found out that an autobiography is just a one man’s view. So it could be bias. I love reading autobiography (like the princess of Arabia – or something like that) and I believed every single words…I think I should read back and consider the facts again.

No comments: