Saturday, July 21, 2007

from linguistic to paintings

I forgotten to mention this in the previous class, but when I saw my notes about the painting, I suddenly remembered the whole purpose of getting the painting of The Fall of Icarus. I wrote down, to look how message conveyed from text (linguistic) to visual…

Now, here comes my opinion. It does not match at all. Surely it does not. I could imagine the farmers are watching Deadelus and Icarus up the sky. I can imagine Icarus being scorched by the sun and even the melting wax and disentangled feathers. But all that is in the picture is Icarus trashed into the sea, no sign of Daedelus and the farmers seemed not to notice anything is happening around them. I think, if I am to introduce this myth to my students, I wouldn’t use this picture. It does not help much in my imagination.

What do you think?

No comments: