Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Position Paper, Oliver Twist

I’m not sure why I like this story. I had only read it once, but I remembered it so well (which probably because I was touched by the cruelty of adults towards children) that I decided to write a position paper on Oliver Twist. I want to write on how children are being labored heartlessly.

I also remembered about another story that has the same child labour theme, I can’t remember the title, but in the story the children are used to sweep chimney in the rich men’s houses and how most of them turns out sick by inhaling too much soot into their lungs. There is also about children having to work in charcoal mines and actually having to live deep down in the tunnel without having sunlight for a year. Because the mine has small tunnels, they decide children size suits well without thinking about the harm that they do to the children.

So, I got the book (which I bought for RM 8.90 Penguin Published), and read the story thoroughly trying to remember the details which I could easily retrieve later when I need it for quotation. The only problem that i have now is the Thesis Statement. Only two of us succeeded into getting the correct Thesis Statement. How do you supposed to create an argument from child abuse, heartless middle class men, using the name of Christianity to do discriminate children?
1. Child labour is to fulfill the aristocrats' greed, not the children's basic life's need
2. Child labour is to fulfill greed, not basic life's need

Can this be accepted? Does it even sound like and argument?

No comments: